Symposium on Architectural Education and Practice
In celebration of its 20th Anniversary, the Hong Kong Chapter of The American Institute of Architects is proud to present the Symposium on Architectural Education and Practice: Educating Practice | Practicing Education at the Asia Society Hong Kong Center on June 24, 2017.
The education of an architect and the practice of architecture have always enjoyed a symbiotic, if not polemical, relationship since the introduction of the Beaux-Arts system of teaching, learning, and practicing more than two and a half centuries ago. Most architecture students acquire the skill of out-of-the-box thinking at school but only encounter the realities of building science, construction technologies, market demands, building codes and regulations upon entering the professional arena. More than ever, architects are facing a rapidly changing society and a built environment that demands a redefinition of professional practice as well as pedagogy.
The symposium will address the following concerns:
- How is architectural education shaping future generations of architects?
- How do educators keep up with teaching both the methods and protocols that demonstrate architecture graduates’ abilities, as well as the values that reflect the current state of the society?
- How does the profession maintain or even increase its relevance and influence at the intersection of design and construction, education and practice?
- How have the curriculums been adjusted to address the complexity and multi-faceted nature of the practice today?
- How do these changes in pedagogy influence and inform the practice?
- How do architects contribute to the making of contemporary buildings? And would/could this contribution redefine the current practice of architecture?
With these questions and many more, the symposium brings together an ensemble of international architects, who are both award-winning practitioners and educators at leading institutions, to share their professional works and their views on teaching and research. It guarantees to be a thought-provoking afternoon with presentations and panel discussions.
Symposium speakers include:
Head and Associate Professor, Department of Architecture, Rhode Island School of Design
Partner, BriggsKnowles Studio
Director and Professor of Practice, School of Architecture, Chinese University of Hong Kong
Principal Architect, Nelson Chen Architects Ltd
Preston Scott Cohen
Former Chair and Professor of Architecture, Harvard University Graduate School of Design
Founder, Preston Scott Cohen, Inc.
Former Dean and Professor of Urban Design, Parsons School of Constructed Environments
Founder, Urban-Interface, LLC
Head of Department and Professor, Faculty of Architecture, The University of Hong Kong,
Founding Partner, Atelier Seraji Architectes & Associes
Dean and Professor, John H. Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape and Design, University of Toronto
Dean and Professor, Cooper Union Irwin S. Chanin School of Architecture
Associate Dean and Professor, Tsinghua University School of Architecture
Partner, TeamMinus, Beijing
We thank Asia Society and Rhode Island School of Design Alumni Association for being partnering organisations of this symposium. AIA members receive 5.0 LUs/HSW for full attendance. Join us for a thought provoking afternoon, RSVP here.