Jilin Hadawan Master
Plan and Core Area Urban Design, Jilin City, PRC
Winner: ChiChung wong, AIA
Award: Merit Award for Urban Design
Hadawan is one of China's old industrial bases in the city
of Jilin. It has become an optimal location for redevelopment
after the relocation of four heavy industrial plants.
This project will turn the polluted industrial area near
the city edge into a low-carbon/ environmentally friendly
town through the implementation of the following strategies:
- Transform the existing railway and Songjiangbei Road into
a linear park that stitches the breaks between the city
- Adapt the historical industrial plants into historical
sites for industrial tourism
- Charge the city fabric with diverse urban activity to
stimulate the cities vitality and accelerate the industrial
- Break down super scale single function industrial blocks
to comfortable human scale mixed use blocks.
- Establish a community structured by hierarchical amenities.
Residents will enjoy a commute along green corridors by
foot or bicycle to reach these amenities.
- Guarantee Clean development with a Brownfield assessment
and remediation plan
- Reuse waste for renewable energy to reduce emission
- Develop a life supporting foundation of green infrastructure
for an eco-friendly development
Hadawan will be transformed from a city fragmented by industrial
facilities, into a green and connected livable city.