Hotel ICON, Kowloon,
Winner: CL3 Architects Ltd.
Award: Merit Award for Interior Architecture
This is a 262 key hotel in Hong Kong which combines teaching
facilities with a full functioning commercial hotel. The project
blends Ecology, Education, Experimentation, Art and Design
in an Asian setting, creating a successful business model
operated with 30% trainees and 70% professionals. As a training
facility for the young generation, innovation becomes a key
aspect for the project, which includes:
- Function rooms that operates as school auditorium in
the day time.
- A ballroom based on black-box theatre concept, creating
a neutral space with a crystal ceiling that can change colour
with LED lighting to suit different events.
- A lobby that uses Asia's largest interior green wall to
- A pair of curved benches made of raw plywood with built
in lighting as lobby seating to counter act the strong architectural
- A juice bar besides the gym and pool area, with a 30ft
ceiling and clad in green mosaic tiles, becomes a cocktail
space that can caters to private pool side function.
- A curved shower in the guestroom takes a fresh look at
The project also incorporates art installations and design
by students and local based artists.