Honor Award for Urban Design:
The Vision Plan for Ningchang Historical Town, Chongqing
Winner: AECOM Asia Company Limited
Award: Honor Award for Urban Design
When considering land, the ancient town has been almost uninhabited. We are invited to reinvent the town’s future.
A Vision Plan, with full community upgrading.
Three key design principles are put forward, and each contributes to the overall conservation, economics, and sustainable future of the town.
1. HERITAGE + NEW MOBILITY
from Traditional Single-sided Village to Double-sided Multiple-trail Destination
– Create a Double-sided development along the Spine River.
– Narrow the 3.5 km route into a 1km circle across two sides.
– Identify 8 minor theme trails for visitors’ own choices, more access to certain heritages.
2. HERITAGE + NEW SCENES
from Linear Ruins Sites to Diverse Open Spaces
– Turn the River and its wide Stone Beach into the brand-new name card open space, together with its 3.5 km splendid façade.
– Terraced Plazas and Gardens, Ruin Plazas and Gardens are created to amplify local terrific topography and ruin
feature.- Hanging Bridge as an open space are emphasized.
3. HERITAGE + NEW NODES
from Ruin and Heritages to Immersive Experience Hub
– Conservations and Restorations are in the first place.
– Implant new technologies.
– Unique Scene you wouldn’t see in the real town, but with a proper link to its past.