Date(s) - December 5, 2020
11:30 am - 1:00 pm
Categories No Categories
Building Tour: North Point State Theatre – AAB
Date: December 5, 2020
Time: 11:30am to 1:00pm
Address: 277-291 King’s Road, North Point, Hong Kong.
The State Theatre (originally known as the Empire Theatre) in North Point was built in 1952. The Antiquities Advisory Board (AAB) of the HKSAR named this a Grade 1 historic building in 2017 after a long and controversial debate as to its architectural and historical merit. Its unique parabolic concrete roof trusses (the first of their kind in Asia) in particular deserve much attention. The developer who recently secured ownership of the building has now committed to an adaptive reuse/repurposing of the existing structure into a Hong Kong cultural landmark.
Guided by Senior Project Director of New World Development, Mr. Jeff Tung, FHKIA, this building tour will present an architectural analysis and further understanding of the complex and will include visits to areas that are not normally open to the public.
As there are only 12 slots available for this tour, please RSVP (firstname.lastname@example.org) with your full name and membership number by 5:00 pm on Thursday, December 3, 2020 (maximum of 1 ticket per registrant) and, if you have any questions, contact the Chapter office at email@example.com / 2882-6011.
This tour is exclusive for AIA Hong Kong members, and attendees will receive 1.5 LUs/HSW.
We look forward to seeing you there!
Notes to Visitors
- The site is not air-conditioned and some parts are dilapidated. The tour requires that visitors climb up and down stairs, so you are advised to be in casual wear with non-slippery, comfortable footwear.
- Follow the designated route as instructed by representatives from New World Development at all times.
- The tour requires climbing up about 100 steps in total, and some are without lighting. Alert our representatives in advance if you have any concerns.
- Do not run, jump, or conduct any dangerous activities at the site.
- Photos are allowed but please be aware of the your own safety and that of others when taking photos.
- As part of the site is dilapidated, the condition of the air inside may be worse than open air. Do speak up if you feel unwell.
Tour Leader’s Profile
Jeff Tung, FHKIA
Senior Project Director, New World Development
Jeff Tung is a Hong Kong Registered Architect and a Fellow of the Hong Kong Institute of Architects. He graduated from the University of Hong Kong in 1985 and has been working in the building industry for more than 35 years, 15 years of which have been in the Private Development sector. Jeff is currently the Senior Project Director of the Project Management Department of New World Development Co. Ltd, and he has recently completed the Remodeling of New World Centre into Victoria Dockside and the Rejuvenation of the Tsim Sha Tsui Waterfront in Hong Kong.
He has extensive experience in the planning, architectural design, and project management of mixed-use, commercial, and hotel projects in Hong Kong, China, and Southeast Asia. Jeff is also a Director of Culture for Tomorrow (CFT), a non-profit organization founded in 2017 by cultural entrepreneur Adrian Cheng, to actualize architectural design and innovation.